Thursday 24 October 2013

Sight Fishing, Bent Bamboo and Bows

" I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through".
- Jules Verne

I was hiking downstream returning to where I parked. It had been a good day on the water. Two anglers were across the river. The younger one had a good bend in his rod. The older fellow wasn't packing. Maybe he was a guide or he put his rod down to help his friend land the fish. I watched him fight the sizable trout and commented from a distance that it looked like he was fishing with Bamboo. A big smile grew. The other fellow said proudly they had spotted the fish rising two feet from the bank and hooked it on a size 18 dry fly. Stuff like that happens on this river. I stood there and took it all in while he landed it. We talked and agreed it was an accomplishment: a big fish on a small dry...and on Bamboo!


As I continued my walk clouds rolled in. I had my success earlier in almost full sun when trout spotting was best. Now things were very challenging. I used the dark reflection of the high cliffs to my advantage to see through the grey surface. These were the same cliffs that blinded me earlier when the sun was out. Now they were my friend. I stopped at a section of the river that held a good fish as I had spooked one there several weeks earlier. My angling memory is good. I stood still for ten minutes watching the water. The trout's movement gave it away otherwise with the poor visibility, I would have never seen it. Movement always catches our eye. I casted. A large trout ate my dry fly.


I won't have a chance to get back to fish the Prairie rivers before the season ends. I'm going to miss the promise of the day on the drive from the mountains out onto the Plains in the early morning light. I'm going to miss hiking the undulating coulees and their late day shadows. I'm going to miss the big broad winged birds riding the afternoon thermals and their shadows on the river. I'm going to miss the Pyrenees sheep herder. I'm going to miss staring into the water for hours on end in search of trout as it is so mesmerising and crystal ball like. And of course I'll miss tricking the occasional big beautiful trout in shallow water. The Buffalo, the ancient High Plains Grizzlies, and the powerful Nomadic Hunters are out there somewhere roaming the Coulees. Next year while walking along a river, I'll find them.







mayfly: mahogany




10 comments:

  1. Nice!
    Sweet!
    Perfecto!

    cdc mahogany is my favorite goto fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roman

      As usual, thanks for the comments. Look forward to fishing with you next summer if you get out my way.
      bob

      Delete
  2. Bob, I've invested some time getting caught up on your adventures tonight. I must say, it was a great way to end my night. Your writing in your recent posts put me right in your shoes...as if I were there. Your pictures are also wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed them all but "Throwing Strikes in the Wind" was one of my favorites. Great work and great season.

    -Nate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nate: Thanks for comments on blog. I recently registered on facebook and have checked your spirit streams fbook page and realize you have a lot of angling going on there so I will check in more that way and figure out how to post a comment or two.I'm a newbie to facebook.
      The Throwing Strikes piece I wrote 10 yrs ago and had it tucked away so took it out and made some minor changes and found what I wrote about still applies to my fishing wide windy rivers today. Glad you liked it, as a lot of work went into it when I first put it on paper.
      Looks like you had a great season also. Look forward to your posts in future.
      bob

      Delete
    2. Good deal on getting connected on Facebook. Throwing Strikes in the Wind was definitely a great read, glad you posted it. It's unfortunately been a couple hectic months for me so I haven't been able to put together thoughtful words, but I'm beginning a new post this weekend and hope to have it published sometime next week. I hope to be able to focus more on the blog going forward. Take care. Look forward to your future posts.

      -Nate

      Delete
    3. Nate; Thanks for feedback. Look forward to your next post. Just spent weekend on Missouri river...a tough go as winds where high and fish challenging.
      bob

      Delete
  3. Indeed, trout are a very enjoyable species of fish to spend your time trying to catch.

    Ketchikan Fishing Charters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ketchikan Fishing Charters (KFC):
    Thanks for dropping in and posting a comment. I checked out where Ketchikan, Alaska is, didn't know, and see it is near PRupert, BC. Looked at your web page, the 3 lodges on the coast and of course the Salmon fishing you offer. Impressive operation and fish. Again, thanks for comment.
    bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Hey Paolo: Thanks for the comment on the photos. Much appreciated given it is coming from a Pro. I enjoyed the post on the G Straight shoot for Wrangler.

      I'm starting to think of springtime and Roosters in Baja.
      bob

      Delete