Thursday 4 April 2013

Easter Eggs, Starbucks and Missouri River Browns

missouri river brown

When my Retriever was younger she would spend a full day with me while I fished. Being a water dog she always hugged the river and stayed close by. If she wandered off I knew something was up. Once she found a goose nest, picked up an egg and proudly brought it to me. I guess she thought I'd be pleased. Instead I firmly said, "No". She reacted by immediately opening her soft mouth. The saliva covered egg rolled out and then I heard a "crack". Since then she has found other nests but has left the contents alone. Bird dogs are smart.

Migrating birds were all over the Missouri river this past weekend signalling Spring. Here is a picture of a riverside Goose nest with Easter eggs included.


The midge hatch this weekend was quite thin. Some fish did rise but not the numbers experienced two weeks ago. I was told many of the river's large Rainbows were in the tributaries spawning. I was hoping that with their absence some of the trout I spotted would be Browns. Some were, and I caught a couple early and late in the day when it was calm. Some Rainbows were also caught.

brown trout

All three fly shops in the town of Craig were open which is another indication that Spring is here. One serves up Starbucks coffee...a nice touch especially on a coldish late March morning or after wading in 38F water for several hours. Also a nice alternative to Interstate coffee with powdered creamer!

Once the river temperature rises to 40 or 42F the Blue Wing Olives will start to pop and large fish will be up all over the place, which is what this river is known for.

I almost didn't make the long drive south this weekend as the dry fly report wasn't promising. I'm glad I did as I spotted some risers, witnessed Spring returning along with majestic Canada geese, and remembered when my dog pranced out of the riverside brush with a big fat goose egg in her mouth. If I would have stayed at home inside, it would have all just passed me by. Carpe diem.






photo taken from missouri river island
morning calm

No comments:

Post a Comment