Friday 5 October 2012

High Desert Trout

 
Silver Creek Idaho! What a beautiful place. If I had to choose one river to fish for a complete year this challenging creek would probably be it. I have yet to hit it when "The Hatch" has been on. I got one half day this trip where a brief low front came in and Tiny Western Olives made an appearance for a couple of hours, and I got a glimpse of what the creek has to offer. I managed some nice fish and a Rainbow that took me into my backing. The rest of the week was brilliant sunshine and few bugs. I relied on a terrestrial pattern to connect with fish. It was slow going: cautiously walking the creek, spotting trout and trying to get them to rise to a black beetle. The Browns seemed hunkered down on the clear days. I located some good ones but they wouldn't commit.

I planned the trip 3 weeks later than last year hoping for some cool inclement weather. Like last year, however, it was Indian Summer weather: upper 70's F and blue skies. I'll keep going back until the stars align. What a great cocktail: Sagebrush desert, crystal clear water, and trout!

No comments:

Post a Comment