Monday 2 July 2012

Crowsnest River Report, July 2, 2012

crowsnest river

I spent three hours on the Crow today to see what is developing as I have not fished it since April and have an angling friend coming out in two weeks. The water level is still quite high with only about three feet of visibility. Run-off is waning.

I looked for surfacing trout but found none. There were insects on the water but no real strong hatch: Large golden stones; small yellow stones (most noticeable hatch); some PMD's (just starting); and some midges. I caught a mid-sized rainbow prospecting with a dry fly in slow water which was hard to find due to the high stream flow. If we don't get heavy rain in the next week or two the river should drop and clear, and be prime for sight fishing with dries as the PMD hatch will intensify. I am drooling already!

barbed wire wreath

No comments:

Post a Comment