Sunday 24 July 2011

Crowsnest River Sippers

I was on the Crow last night and tonight from 5 pm until about 9pm. The river has dropped considerably lately and is now fishing in the slow areas like a wonderful spring creek. Although hatches aren't thick there are bugs around. The predominant hatch as expected is the Pale Morning Dun, size 16 and 18. Other flies include: PMD spinners (rusty), yellow sallies, lime sallies, still some golden stones...I didn't see many green drakes as in past weeks.
I searched for bank sippers and shallow feeders in slow water below gentle riffles and found a few. Most of my success was in looking for them in the evening shadows away from the sun. I had to cover some water to find them and be very observant. A couple of great fish on small flies. The bank fish I caught tonight was in 1 foot of water. I watched him feed for 15 minutes before casting to him downstream, fly first. I fished a size 16 PMD pattern, white polypro for wing and visibility and light dun hackle clipped on bottom so fly rides low. The sippers are around!
Crowsnest River Rainbow Trout

No comments:

Post a Comment